* 183,500 British and American words, phrases, and meanings, plus 85,000 examples showing how words are used.
* 20,000 word origins explained on the COMPASS CD-ROM.
* Over 200,000 extra example sentences on the COMPASS CD-ROM.
* 2,000 new words and meanings from British and American English, such as offshoring, life coach, *** up, wi-fi.
* 5,000 study words used in the sciences, maths, computing, literature, and business.
* 700 entries for words from Australia, Canada, East Africa, India, New Zealand, South Africa, and West Africa.
* Oxford 3000™: the only reliable list in a dictionary to identify the 3,000 keywords students need to know.
* Special entries for words on the Oxford 3000 list, with extra information on synonyms, collocations, and extra examples to extend vocabulary.
* 7,000 synonyms and opposites shown.
* 200 special synonym notes covering 1,200 synonyms.
* Illustrations and photographs explain 2000+ words.
* Labelled illustrations show related vocabulary.
* 32 colour pages illustrate groups of words such as extreme sports, music, etc.
* Colour maps - much appreciated by teachers and students.
* 2,600 encyclopedic entries to explain references such as Walter Mitty, Fort Knox, Marie Celeste, Peter Pan, Beacon Hill.
* Over 10,000 entries on every aspect of British and American culture on the COMPASS CD-ROM.